Sunday 7 December 2008

Climate Change demo and moving out....

As I have kept a diary since 1969 and only missed a few days in all that time, I feel I am qualified to write a blog! My early entries didn't amount to much more than what I had for tea, but later ones reveal a debauched, hedonistic lifestyle that would horrify some of you! No not really, but there have been lots of adventures...and I am currently re reading the diaries, which are amazing...
Anyway, if I am to embrace modern technology (which I don't really) I'd better make a start with this weekend. A respectable crowd of us gathered at Southampton train station and made the trip to London yesterday for the Climate Change Demo. Blessed with the most amazing weather again, as we were in 2006, thousands of people reclaimed the streets and walked through the heart of London.
As it was a car free day, we had made our way to Grosvenor Square via Regent Street which had become a pedestrianised area, with benches and chairs in the middle of the road. Arriving at the start of the march, Nina and Kulbir were grabbed and asked if they would carry huge animal heads (photo opportunity for the media...so I wonder if they made the papers?) We headed off, with a samba band behind us, followed by thousands of peaceful protestors carrying placards demanding no more coal or agrofuels.
The march snaked through Mayfair and Piccadilly, past Trafalgar Square along Whitehall to Parliament Square, where Seize the Day played, followed by speakers, including Caroline Lucas.
The Southampton group along with some friends from Portsmouth, warmed up in the cafe at the Methodist Central Hall, before heading home or heading for the pub...
It was a great day.....
Talking of home.....I am moving out of mine and letting it to Jani from the Art House. It has been cosy in there today, after 2 days of sunshine to warm it up. I don't have any heating but thanks to good insulation and I suspect next doors heating coming through the walls, it has been about 19C inside! My bills are minimal!
So I am off on my travels again, having failed again in all attempts to settle down (but that's another story) The only thing that has kept me sane the past few months, has been the Art House, and Jani will find a book of mine waiting for her, called The Great Good Place by Ray Oldenburg, which is all about places like the Art House...where people can hang out, meet others and create a sense of community. We should all drink to that!
Jani, enjoy your new home. You have created a home from home for many of us in Southampton, so I hope you have fun in mine while I am away!

No comments: